Thursday, January 31, 2008

New Zealand

New Zealand

23 hours after leaving our house in Singapore we arrived at Nelson airport. Crazy, as it should have been a 10 hour journey, still it has give us a taste of what a flight back to the UK is going to be like!

The lady who was looking out for a house for us came up trumps. We sent her a text from Nelson airport to say we had arrived, a few minutes later she called us back, gave us the address and said the keys are under the mat just let yourselves in!
That is just typical of New Zealand’s wonderful laid back attitude to everything, there just doesn’t seem to be any formalities to anything here. The people are so incredibly friendly and helpful.

The house is very sweet, it is a traditional, single story, weather boarded, tin roof house set on a hillside. It is such a huge culture shock though, we are so used to being in the heart of the city surrounded by people and noise, the space and quiet here feels very strange.
The weather is gorgeous, we have arrived right in the middle of summer and it is blisteringly hot, but it is so fresh, it’s such a relief to get away from the stifling tropical heat and humidity of Singapore. I have no doubt that I will change my mind about that come the winter! It has been four years since we have seen a winter and although New Zealand’s winters are very mild it is going to seem freezing to us.
Not missing anything from Singapore just yet - well maybe our swimming pool :)

I will be glad when the jet lag has gone, still really groggy but haven’t got time to sleep it off; there is so much to do.
We went to the kids new school yesterday, they start next week so we have had to fly round trying to sort out uniforms, stationary, books, bags, shoes, so we are getting to know the local shops quite well!

We are now trying to sort out new mobile accounts, buy a car, look for a more permanent house and get online! I can’t believe how horribly dependant I have become on the internet, I honestly can’t function without it. I have always relied a 100% on the internet to run the business but I am now starting to rely on it to run my life also – it’s scary!
The first thing we did when we arrived was sort out a broadband account, hopefully the new modem will arrive tomorrow and I can start to catch up on everything. In the meantime I am at the mercy of ‘Starbucks’ so you will all have to forgive me for the lack of contact, I will be in touch with everyone as soon as I get my ‘lifeline’ back.

Carri x

1 comment:

Oberon said...

Wishing you all every success in your new home now and when you move and in your new country
Keep dancing into Light
David Myrea and the fairies